Do I need a Visa to visit Spain as a Tourist? – Explore La Tierra

Do I need a Visa to visit Spain?

Do you want to enjoy Spanish culinary, culture, wine, history, and sun and beach? But you may not be sure if you will need a visa to visit or if you need to contact the Spanish embassy. Do not worry, we will try to explain it in this post.

Spain is a party to the Schengen Agreement. This means that if your country is part of the Schengen Agreement or has an agreement with the countries that fall within this agreement, you may enter Spain for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa. You also must have sufficient funds and a return airline ticket.

In case you are coming to study, in an Athletic study program, or you come for work you may need a visa. Contact the Spanish Embassy to get more information on it.

We will start with those passport holders who do not require a visa to visit Spain.

1. The European Union, Iceland, Norway and Switzerland

• If you are planning to live in Spain for more than three months you will need to apply for residency. The Spanish Government has introduced residency requirements for EU citizens who plan to reside in Spain for over three months.

• You do not need a minimum of validity in your passport or travel document to travel to Spain. It is enough as long as your passport is valid for the duration of the visit.

• Children included in the parent’s passport must be accompanied by the parent. The child’s right to travel on the passport will lapse depending on the age stipulated by the issuing country.

• A letter of consent is recommended if the child (holding a valid passport or National Identity card) is not travelling with the parents (mother or father if they have parental responsibility) or guardian. Anyone under the age of 18 is considered a minor and is subject to parental control or adult supervision. Parents or guardians are responsible for the actions of their children. Unaccompanied minors fall under the jurisdiction of Social Services for the Protection of Minors.

• It is important that the name on your ticket matches the name on your passport exactly. Please consult with the airline before travelling.

2. If you are specifically from the United Kingdom (UK) and you are wondering if you will require a visa to visit Spain after BREXIT

You will not need a visa for short trips (up to 90-days in any 180-day period) if you are a tourist. However, you may need a visa or permit to stay for longer, to study, or for business travel. Check the UK government website for updates. To visit Europe for short trips, even if Brexit happens without a deal, follow these “rules”  before you travel:

  • Your passport should have at least 6 months left and be less than 10 years old
  • Get travel insurance which covers your healthcare: After Brexit your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) may not be valid.
  • Driving documents: In Spain you will not need an International Driving Permit (IDP) for visits up to 9 months after the date the UK leaves the EU. After, you won’t need an IDP for visits under 6 months, if you have either a UK photocard or driving licence. If you are taking your own car you will need a “green card” (allow 1 month to get this from your car insurance) and a GB sticker.
  • Organise pet travel – you need to contact your vet at least 4 months before you go
  • Check with your phone operator as free mobile data roaming may end.
  • Buying duty free after Brexit: Some rules may change. You will be able to buy duty-free tobacco and alcohol when you are travelling to the EU.

This applies both if you’re a tourist or travelling for business. Business travel includes activities such as travelling for meetings and conferences, providing services (even with a charity), and touring art or music.

3. If your country is within the following list and your visit will not exceed ninety days per six-month period, a visa is not required:

Albania *
Antigua and Barbuda
Bosnia Herzegovina *
British nationals (Overseas), Overseas citizens (BOC), Overseas territories citizens (BOTC), Protected persons (BPP), and British subjects (BS).
Brunei Darussalam
Costa Rica
El Salvador
Georgia *
Hong Kong Special Administrative Region
Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia (FYROM) *
Korean Republic
Macao Special Administrative Region
Marshall Islands
Moldova *
Montenegro *
New Zealand
Northern Mariana Islands (passports from the US)
St. Kitts and Nevis
St. Lucia
St. Vincent and Grenadines
San Marino
Serbia **
Solomon Islands
Taiwan (only holders of passports which contain identity card number)
Trinidad and Tobago
Ukraine *
United Arab Emirates
Vatican City

* Only when holding a biometric passport. If not, a visa is required.
** Only when holding a biometric passport. If not, a visa is required, excluding holders of passports delivered by KOORDINACIONA UPRAVA.

4. Holders of Travel Documents issued under the Geneva Convention of July 1951, by the following countries:

Belgium, Cyprus, Denmark, Germany, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom

5. Crew members of airlines and merchant navy.

6. If you hold a valid residence permit in any of the Schengen member states.

In this case you are entitled to re-enter the Schengen area without a visa on production of your proof of residence and your passport.

7. Under Directive 2004/38/EC and according to Real Decreto 240/2007

Under Directive 2004/38/EC and according to Real Decreto 240/2007, 16 February, family members of an EU/EEA national in possession of a valid UK Residence Card specifying its condition as a family member do not require a visa to enter Spain when travelling with the EU/EEA National or joining him/her in Spain. Otherwise, a visa will be still required (Real Decreto 1161/2009, 10th July 2009). For spouses and/or children of Spanish Nationals the above condition applies provided that the marriage and/or birth is registered according with the Spanish Civil Register (original Libro de Familia). Please note, that the UK Residence Permit must state literally that the holder is a family member of an EU/EEA National. If not, a visa is required.

This information applies only to ordinary passports. All other nationalities, not listed above require a visa.

Holders of passports who require a visa to visit Spain

Please be aware that if your country is within this list the visa will take a minimum of 2 weeks to be issued.

Afghanistan (1) (2*)
Algeria (1)
Angola (2)
Bangladesh (1) (2*)
Belarus (1)
Bosnia & Herzegovina
Burkina Faso
Cameroon (1) (2*)
Cape Verde
Central Africa Republic
Cuba (2)
Democratic Republic of Congo (1) (2*)
Djibouti (2*)
Dominican Republic
East Timor
Equatorial Guinea (1)
Egypt (1)
Eritrea (2*)
Ethiopia (2*)
Frandesspass documents (1)
Ghana (2*)
Guinea (2)
Guinea-Bissau (2)
Haiti (2)
Hong Kong (when it is not SAR)
India (2)
Iran (1) (2*)
Iraq (1) (2*)
Ivory Coast (2)
Jordan (1)
Lebanon (1)
Liberia (2)
Libya (1)
Mali (1) (2)
Mauritania (1)
Morocco (1)
Nigeria (1) (2*)
North Korea (1)
Pakistan (1) (2*)
Palestine (1)
Papua New Guinea
Philippines (1)
Refugee Travel Documents (1)
Rwanda (1)
Sao Tome
Saudi Arabia (1)
Senegal (2)
Sierra Leone (2)
Somalia (1) (2*)
South Africa
South Sudan (1)
Sri Lanka (1) (2*)
Sudan (1) (2)
Suriname (1)
Syria (1)
Togo (2)
Tunisia (1)
Uzbekistan (1)
Vietnam (1)
Yemen (1)

More details:

(1) This visa to visit Spain will take at least 4 weeks to process. Included in this category are: Palestinians, Refugees and Stateless Persons. Please note that certain documents aren’t recognised by the Spanish Authorities and are therefore not valid to travel to Spain. These include Certificates of Identity issued by the Home Office, which are not covered by the Geneva or New York Conventions.
(2) If you are originally from these countries and you are not a permanent resident in Canada, European Union, USA, then, an Airport Transit visa is required.
(2*) An Airport Transit visa is not required if resident in: Andorra, Canada, European Union, Japan, Monaco, San Marino, Switzerland, USA, Holders of Diplomatic and Service passports.
The Airport Transit visa will only allow the holder into the International Lounge and will not permit the passenger entry into Spain. Children of any age holding a valid passport will require a visa.

Visa exemptions for school children groups

Visa exemptions to visit Spain may be obtained for school children normally requiring a visa to travel to Spain. If they visit as part of an organised school trip, or as a group, accompanied by a teacher.

Full day tours in Andalusia

If you are coming to Andalusia in Spain, specifically Cadiz do not hesitate to contact me. We are a tour operator company based in Vejer de la Frontera, Cadiz province, Andalusia.

Many famous travel magazines/guides, including New York Times and Lonely Planet, have named Cadiz and specifically Vejer de la Frontera and Jerez for its gastronomy and old famous cellars. You could be interested in visiting in our tours. We also design bespoke or private tours just for you, your family and friends or more. Contact us through our email, you can visit our website, Explore la Tierra.

We do culinary and cultural tours around Andalusia. Visit the famous white towns of Cadiz, focus on the great gastronomy like Sherry wine, Bluefin tuna, tapas tour, Iberian ham tour from Seville and Cadiz, and more. Contact us to get more information through our mail, or WhatsApp to +34 722 251 790.

Contact us

Do you have any ideas and suggestions? Please do not hesitate to write back to us at Please read our Privacy Policy before contacting us, we will take your recommendations into consideration. If you want to keep reading other blogs hit the big blue button below.

Book Now

Hola! Thank you for joining Explore la Tierra. Subscribe to Explore la Tierra now to receive more information about new experiences in Cadiz and new blog posts. Unsubscribe at any time.

-In my blogs I cover Cadiz's gastronomy and local culture: Information on white towns, sherry wine, bluefin tuna, etc. Furthermore, I also give advice on Mediterranean products I recommend.

-Subscribe to Explore la Tierra to receive new information on new tours in Cadiz. Moreover, you will be the first to receive a discount code for certain tours.

¡Muchas gracias! You have successfully subscribed to my newsletter

There was an error while trying to send your request. Please try again.

Explore La Tierra will use the information you provide on this form to provide you with updates. It is very easy to unsubscribe!
%d bloggers like this: